Friday, April 20, 2012

My journey...

...all began this last December when I began to look into possible archaeological field schools. For those of you who don't know, I'm a Junior at UCLA with one more year until I complete my B.A. in Anthropology with a minor in Classical Civilizations. I knew I wanted to go somewhere in Europe (...as my concentrations are on ancient Roman and Greek civilizations). The problem was that most of them begin within the two weeks of my Spring Quarter, which would obviously not be possible! After about a month of searching and communicating with various schools around Europe, I decided on this one:

http://www.bishopg.ac.uk/?_id=10396 


The Bishop Grosseteste Lincoln Archaeology Field excavates and researches the Roman City of Lincoln that began its occupation around 68 AD. It's exciting to imagine what we'll uncover this summer!

But it's not over!

About 2 weeks later, on a spur-of-the-moment, I applied to study abroad in Rome for the fall semester. Never thinking I'd be accepted (as I put in the application the day before the deadline), I was accepted! So now, not only will I be spending 6 weeks in England, I will be spending 4 months in Italy just 3 weeks after I get back from England! Talk about a busy year!


The paperwork had been flying through my hands and out to various headquarters. I even had to go through the stressful process of obtaining a duplicate passport in order to obtain an Italian visa AND be able to go to England over the summer. But I've survived and the only thing I have left to do is actually show up for my appointment at the Italian consulate. 


Enough about paperwork, I'm going abroad! Well, in 8 weeks as of today... the countdown has begun!

I will periodically post as the days tick by, but the good stuff begins when I get on that plane. Keep tuned in! 

1 comment: